- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 23cm/9” tart or flan dish.
- Put the flour and butter into a large bowl. Use a fork or pastry blender to work them together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks and stir well.
- Using your hands gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of the dish.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Lay a large piece of parchment over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment, spreading them all over the surface.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully lift the parchment and contents off the pastry.
- Return the pastry to the oven and cook for a further 4-5 minutes without browning too much.
- Take the dish out of the oven and gently remove the warm pastry case out of the dish and leave it to cool.
Lemon Filling and Topping
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C, Fan 130°C, 300°F, Gas 2.
- Cut some fine strips of zest from the lemons. Squeeze the juice.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and beat them together.
- Add the caster sugar and lemon juice and whisk until well combined.
- Stir in the cream.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into the pastry case.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes. The filling should be just wobbly and will set as the tart cools.
- Chill the tart.
- Scatter the lemon zest strips over the lemon tart and dust the edges with sieved icing sugar before serving.
23cm/9” tart or flan dish, 2 cups ceramic baking beans, parchment paper for blind baking, saucepan, pastry blender and mixing bowl
Blind Baking 190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
Lemon Tart 150°C, Fan 130°C, 300°F, Gas 2