Wholemeal Mixed Seed Bread
About this recipe:
The distinctive character of this delicious bread is created by your chosen mixture of seeds. This bread is delicious with both sweet and savoury toppings or served with a hearty soup.
1kg/2lb loaf tin and mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Strong Wholemeal Bread Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
375ml tepid water
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp nut oil
150g mixture of sunflower, pumpkin, poppy or linseeds
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a bowl and blend them together.
- Stir the water into the bowl and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the salt.
- Mix in the oil.
- Use your hands to gather everything together into a ball of dough.
- Knead the dough for 100 presses, in the bowl or on a work surface, without adding flour.
- Cover the dough bowl with a large upturned bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin.
- Press down the dough, add the seeds and knead the dough for 50 presses.
- Shape the dough and put it into your prepared tin.
- Invert an upturned bowl over the tin and leave it to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the upturned bowl and bake the bread for 45-50 minutes. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Leave the bread to cool on a wire rack.