White Sandwich Loaf
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
This recipe makes one lovely slicing loaf for delicious lunchbox sandwiches. You could multiply the ingredients by three to make three loaves, one to use immediately and two loaves to freeze for a later date.
1kg/2lb bread tin and 2 x mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp Doves Farm Vitamin C
325ml tepid water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin.
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar, and vitamin C into a large bowl and blend them together well.
- Stir in the water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, sprinkle the salt over the top and stir to combine.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a soft doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl, or on a work surface, for 100 presses. Avoid adding flour if possible. It will become less sticky as you knead.
- Invert a large bowl over the dough bowl and leave in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Shape the dough and put it into the prepared tin.
- Invert the large bowl over the tin and leave it to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven 20 minutes before you are going to bake.
- Remove the bowl and bake for 40–45 minutes. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.