White Rye Bread Loaf
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Less dense than many rye loaves, white rye bakes a tasty and easy to slice bread. A teaspoon of caraway seeds can be added to the mixing bowl if you wish.
1kg/2lb bread tin and 2 x mixing bowls
600g Doves Farm Organic White Rye Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
375ml tepid water
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a bowl and mix together.
- Pour in the water and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough, in the bowl for 50 presses.
- Cover with an upturned mixing bowl and leave in a warm place, for the dough to double in size, about 2 hours.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin or insert a baking liner.
- Knead the dough for another 50 presses.
- Shape the dough and put it into the prepared tin.
- Invert a mixing bowl over the tin and leave in a warm place to rise for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the bowl and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Turn the loaf out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.