Coconut Flour Pastry Mushroom Quiche
About this recipe:
The pastry for this quiche can be a little delicate to handle so use parchment paper to support it or press the pastry into the dish with your fingers. Ideal for low carb and gluten free diets the mushroom and cream cheese filling makes a quiche that is delicious served warm or cold.
20cm/8” round quiche or tart dish, 2 x mixing bowls, frying pan, ceramic baking beans and parchment paper
COCONUT FLOUR PASTRY
50g Doves Farm Organic Coconut Flour
50g ground almonds
pinch of salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
butter, for dish
ground almonds, for dusting
MUSHROOM QUICHE FILLING
100g cream cheese
salt and pepper
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Coconut Flour Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around a 20cm/8” round quiche or tart dish.
- Put the flour, ground almonds and salt into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Chop the butter into cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter cubes and flour together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Break the egg into a small bowl, add the lemon juice and beat together.
- Tip the egg into the mixing bowl and stir to bring together a soft dough.
- Gather everything together pressing it into a ball of dough with your hands.
- Dust a piece of parchment paper with ground almonds, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more ground almonds.
- Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand and leave for 5 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and, using the parchment paper for support, transfer the pastry to the prepared tart dish and gently press it into place. OR simply press the pastry into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Remove the parchment paper and pinch the pastry to seal any cracks or gaps that appear.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Lay a large piece of parchment paper over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment paper, spreading them all over the inside of the dish.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully lift the parchment paper and contents off the pastry.
- Return the dish to the oven and cook for a further 4-5 minutes without allowing the pastry to brown too much.
- Put the butter into a frying pan over a gentle heat.
- Slice the mushrooms, add them to the pan and cook until the mushrooms collapse and remove from the heat.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and beat well.
- Add the cream cheese, salt and pepper and mix roughly to leave lumps of cheese.
- Stir in the cooked mushrooms.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared pastry base and smooth the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.