No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
large baking tray, 2 x mixing bowls, baking liner or parchment paper, saucepan, spatula, 2 x soup spoons or a piping bag
75g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
½ tsp caster sugar
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Line a large baking tray with a baking liner or parchment paper.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, sprinkle the sugar on top and put it beside the cooker.
- Break the eggs into another bowl, beat them well and leave this bowl next to the cooker too.
- Put the butter and water into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- When the butter has melted and water come to the boil, remove the pan from the heat.
- Immediately add the flour from the bowl and mix into a thick paste.
- Return the pan to a gentle heat, stirring vigorously for 30 seconds, to make a soft dough.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add a third of the egg and beat it into the dough with a spatula.
- When it is incorporated, beat in another third of the egg.
- Beat in the remaining egg to make a thick, smooth paste.
- Take a soup spoon of the paste, scrape it onto a second soup spoon, then scrape it back onto the original spoon to encourage the formation of a ball of choux paste.
- Drop the ball of paste onto the baking tray and repeat with the remaining paste.
- OR, put the choux paste into a piping bag and pipe balls of dough onto the baking tray.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and crisp to the touch.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- As soon as you can handle the choux balls, cut the side of each bun with a sharp knife to allow the steam to escape.
- Transfer the choux buns to a wire rack to cool.
- When completely cold slice and fill the buns with a sweet or savoury filling.