Wholemeal Spelt Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around the inside of a 20cm/8” round dish or tin.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Put the flour and butter cubes into a mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, work the butter cubes into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough of the orange juice to bring the pastry together into a soft dough.
- Using your hands gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
Pine Nut and Honey Filling
- Break the egg into a mixing bowl and whisk well.
- Continue whisking, adding the honey and orange juice.
- Stir in the pine nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry lined dish, spreading it out.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4