Wholemeal Einkorn Digestive Biscuits
About this recipe:
The wheaty flavour of this great, classic British biscuit is intensified when baked with Einkorn flour. For authenticity use a hard fat such as butter or lard, rather than margarine or a butter substitute.
2 x baking trays, 6cm/2¼” biscuit cutter or cup, 2 x mixing bowls and jug
50g demerara sugar
pinch of salt
3 tbsp boiling water
125g Doves Farm Organic Einkorn Flour
2 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
50g butter or lard
butter, for trays
flour, for dusting
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of two baking trays or insert a baking liner.
- Measure the sugar and salt into a jug, add the water and stir until dissolved.
- Put the flour and baking powder into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter or lard into the bowl and use a fork or pastry blender to work it into fine breadcrumbs.
- Pour on the prepared sugar liquid and mix to form a soft ball of dough.
- Cover and rest the dough for 30 minutes.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the dough to a 3mm/ ⅛” thickness.
- Press a 6cm/2¼” biscuit cutter or cup into the dough and gently lift the dough circles onto the prepared baking trays.
- Gather together the off-cuts, press them together to make another ball of dough and roll it out for further biscuits.
- Prick each biscuit a few times with a fork.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, until lightly golden.
- When cold store biscuits in a tin.