White Spelt Bread
About this recipe:
White Spelt bread is naturally a pale creamy colour and full of flavour. It will prove and rise a little more quickly than conventional wheat flour, so bake it as soon as it has doubled in size.
1kg/2lb loaf tin and 2 x mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
300ml tepid water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
oil, for tin
220°C, fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Pour in the water, and stir until everything looks craggy and lumpy, then stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough for 100 presses, in the bowl or on a work surface. Avoid adding flour.
- Cover the dough with a large upturned bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Shape the dough and put it into your prepared tin.
- Invert a large mixing bowl over the tin and leave it to rise in a warm place for 35 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Bake the loaf for 40-45 minutes. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped. Leave to cool on a wire rack.