23 x 33cm/9 x 13” baking tray, large oven tray and 2 x large mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
325ml tepid water
5 tbsp olive oil
oil, for tray
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
8 olives, de-stoned
1 tbsp olive oil
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 23 x 33cm/9 x 13” baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Stir in the water.
- Add the oil and stir again.
- Using your hands gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the sticky dough in the bowl for 100 presses or pick it up and throw it back into the bowl 100 times. Avoid adding flour if possible.
- Invert a large mixing bowl over the dough bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Transfer the dough into the prepared tray, pressing it into the corners.
- Sprinkle the salt over the dough, press the rosemary stalks into the dough and dot with olives.
- Invert a large oven tray over the dough and leave in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven 20 minutes before baking.
- Remove the inverted oven tray and bake for 35–40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle a spoon of oil over the top of the focaccia and leave to cool.