Sweetcorn Fritters and Tomato Salsa
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Sweetcorn fritters are a tasty and succulent savoury pancake, with or without the optional chili. Serve the fritters with fresh tomato salsa or sweet chilli sauce for lunch or supper. Smaller sweetcorn fritters, served with a dollop of ketchup, make a great finger food. Cooked fritters can be frozen and reheated in the oven before serving.
large frying pan, mixing bowls and microwave for fresh corn
1 sweetcorn cob, OR
200g sweetcorn, tinned
150g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 red chili, finely chopped (optional)
oil, for frying
1/2 red onion, very finely chopped
1/2 red chili
1 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp lime juice
salt and pepper
Preparing the Sweetcorn
- Peel all but the last layer of leaf from the corn cob, put it into the microwave and cook on full power for 4½ minutes.
- Carefully peel back the last leaves and silk from the cooked corn.
- Hold the corn by the leaves pointing it down onto a chopping board.
- Using a sharp knife and cutting downwards, separate the corn kernels from the cob.
- OR open the tin of sweetcorn and drain off the liquid.
- Put the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into another bowl.
- Add the eggs and milk and beat into a smooth batter.
- Stir the sweetcorn and finely chopped chili into the batter
- Put some oil into a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Gently drop 3 large spoons of batter into the pan.
- Cook until the base of the fritters is golden brown, turn them over and cook the other side.
- Remove the fritters and drain on kitchen paper.
- Repeat the process to make 3 more fritters.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Peel and finely dice the onion.
- Chop the tomato into 3-4 mm dice and discard some of the seeds.
- Finely chop the chili, coriander and parsley.
- Tip everything into a bowl, add the lime juice, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cover and leave to stand for at least an hour before serving.