Coconut Flour Chocolate Courgette Cake
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
A deliciously moist, low sugar chocolate cake, made with coconut flour. Serve a slice of this cake with your favourite hot drink or as a dessert with a spoonful of crème fraiche on the side. For a low carb option, use xylitol in the cake and dark chocolate with high cocoa solids for the topping.
15cm/6” deep, round, loose bottom cake tin and 2 x mixing bowls
COCONUT CHOCOLATE COURGETTE CAKE
75g Doves Farm Organic Coconut Flour
3 tbsp cocoa
2 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
½ tsp xanthan gum
¼ tsp coffee powder
3 tbsp caster sugar or xylitol
2 tsp vanilla extract
oil, for tin
50g plain chocolate
50ml double cream
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Coconut Chocolate Courgette Cake
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 15cm/6” deep, round, loose bottom cake tin or insert a baking liner.
- Finely grate the courgette into a sieve and leave it in the sink for an hour to drain off excess liquid.
- Measure the coconut flour, cocoa, baking powder, xanthan gum and coffee powder into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar or xylitol and stir to combine.
- Break the eggs into another mixing bowl and beat well.
- Add the oil and vanilla extract and beat again.
- Tip the grated courgette into the bowl and mix well.
- Add the prepared coconut flour blend to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces.
- Heat the cream until bubbles just start to appear then remove from the heat.
- Add the chocolate pieces to the cream and stir gently.
- Spread the topping over the top and sides of the cold cake.