Wholemeal Emmer Oven Baked Bread
About this recipe:
Emmer flour has a rich, intense wheaty yet creamy flavour that bakes into a great wholemeal loaf.
1kg/2lb bread tin and mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Emmer Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
350ml tepid water
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Pour in the water and stir until everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in its bowl, or on a work surface, for 100 presses. Avoid adding flour.
- Cover the dough bowl with a large upturned mixing bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Shape the dough and put it into the prepared tin.
- Invert a large mixing bowl over the tin and leave it to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the inverted bowl and bake for 45-50 minutes. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.