Coconut Flour Pastry
- Rub a little butter around a 20cm/8” round, tart or quiche dish and pre-heat the oven.
- Break the egg into a small bowl, add the lemon juice and beat together.
- Put the flour and xanthan gum into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the butter and using a fork or pastry blender work it into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the egg mixture.
- Using your hands, gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Press the pastry into the base and side of the prepared dish.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish and prick the base several times with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Coconut Sponge and Filling
- Spread the jam over the cooked pastry base.
- Put the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl, add the caster sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the prepared flour.
- Tip the mixture onto the jam and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the dish.
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4