Coconut Flour Congress Tart
About this recipe:
Similar in concept to a Bakewell Tart but made with coconut flour pastry and coconut sponge instead of wheat flour and almonds. Serve congress tart warm for a pudding or simply sliced with a cup of tea or coffee.
20cm/8” round, tart or quiche dish and 2 x mixing bowls
COCONUT FLOUR PASTRY
2 tbsp lemon juice
100g Doves Farm Organic Coconut Flour
½ tsp xanthan gum
butter, for dish
COCONUT SPONGE AND FILLING
5 tbsp raspberry jam
25g Doves Farm Organic Coconut Flour
2 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
100g caster sugar
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Coconut Flour Pastry
- Rub a little butter around a 20cm/8” round, tart or quiche dish and pre-heat the oven.
- Break the egg into a small bowl, add the lemon juice and beat together.
- Put the flour and xanthan gum into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Chop the butter into cubes and add them to the flour bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter cubes and flour together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the egg mixture.
- Using your hands, gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Press the pastry into the base and side of the prepared dish.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish and prick the base several times with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Coconut Sponge and Filling
- Spread the jam over the cooked pastry base.
- Put the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl, add the caster sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the prepared flour.
- Tip the mixture onto the jam and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the dish.