Wholemeal Mince Pies
About this recipe:
Celebrate with these stellar mince pies. Using fine plain wholemeal flour with a touch of cinnamon and orange adds intense flavour to these traditional favourites. They can be made in advance and frozen when cold. Re-heat from frozen for 10 minutes in a warm oven. Our recipe for Mince Pies with Buckwheat Almond Pastry and Meringue Tops includes details of how to make your own mincemeat.
1-2 x 12-hole tart tray, round and small star shaped pastry cutters, pastry brush, pastry blender and mixing bowl
WHOLEMEAL MINCE PIE PASTRY
150g Doves Farm Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
1 tsp cinnamon
50g caster sugar
6-7 tbsp orange juice
butter, for trays
flour, for dusting
MINCE PIE FILLING AND TOPPING
1 egg, beaten
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Wholemeal Mince Pie Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Put the flour and cinnamon into a mixing bowl and stir to combine
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add them to the mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, mash the butter cubes into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the caster sugar.
- Stir in enough orange juice to bring together a soft ball of dough.
- Cover and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Rub a little butter around the insides of a 12-hole tart tray(s).
- Dust the work surface with flour, put two thirds of the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the dough to a 1.5mm/1/16” thickness.
- Select a pastry cutter or cup with a diameter 2cm/¾” larger than the holes of the tart tray and press it into the dough to make circles.
- Lift the pastry circles into the holes of the tart tray(s).
- Brush the edges of the pastry circles with water.
- Gather up the off cuts and add them to the reserved pastry dough.
Mince Pie Filling and Star Topping
- Put a teaspoon of mincemeat in the centre of each tart.
- Lightly dust the reserved pastry with flour and roll it out to a 1.5mm/1/16” thickness.
- Using a pastry cutter or cup the same diameter as the holes of the tart tray, press it into the dough to make circles.
- Press the small star cutter into the dough circles and remove the star shapes.
- Lift the dough circles onto the mincemeat tarts.
- Press the edges together around the circumference to seal the tarts.
- Beat the egg and brush a little over the pastry.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.