Coconut Flour Sponge Layers
- Rub a little butter around three 18cm/7” round, loose bottom cake tins and pre-heat the oven.
- Measure the coconut flour and baking powder into a bowl, mix together and set aside.
- Put the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Finely grate the lemon into the bowl and beat to combine.
- Break three of the eggs into the bowl, one at a time, beating well between each one.
- Stir in half of the prepared flour.
- Break the remaining eggs into the bowl, one at a time, beating well between each one.
- Beat in the remaining flour and water.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Leave the sponges to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack to cool.
Buttercream Filling and Topping
- Put the butter into a mixing bowl and beat until softened.
- Measure the cream cheese into the bowl and beat to combine.
- Stir in the icing sugar, a little at a time, beating until it is all combined.
- Divide half of the mixture between two of the sponges and spread it out.
- Put the sponges on top of each other and the third sponge on top.
- Spread the remaining mixture over the top and sparingly around the side of the cake.
- Sprinkle the coconut flakes over the cake.
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4