Brandy Cream Celebration Choux Dessert
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
This super dessert combines choux pastry, a brandy cream fruit filling and topped with chocolate sauce. It would be ideal for a special celebration or as an after-dinner treat.
large baking tray, baking liner or parchment paper, saucepan and 3 x mixing bowls
CHOUX PASTRY RING
75g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
½ tsp caster sugar
BRANDY CREAM FRUIT FILLING
50g glace peel
50g brandy or rum
150g whipping or double cream
25g icing sugar
50g plain chocolate
50g milk chocolate
75ml double cream
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
Choux Pastry Ring
- Measure the raisins, glace peel and brandy or rum into a bowl, cover and leave to soak overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Line a large baking tray with a baking liner or parchment paper and draw a 20cm/8” circle in the middle, as a guide.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and sprinkle the sugar on top and put it beside the cooker.
- Break the eggs into another bowl, beat them well and leave this bowl next to the cooker too.
- Put the butter and water into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- When the butter has melted and water come to the boil, remove the pan from the heat.
- Immediately add the flour from the bowl and mix into a thick paste.
- Return the pan to a gentle heat, stirring vigorously for 30 seconds, to make a soft dough.
- Remove the pan from the heat again, add a third of the egg and beat it into the dough with a spatula.
- When it is incorporated beat in another third of the egg.
- Beat in the remaining egg to make a thick, smooth paste.
- Spoon or pipe the warm paste into a circle using the guide on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and carefully start to cut the pastry in half horizontally, to allow steam to escape.
- Finish cutting the choux pastry in half and carefully lift off the top half.
- Leave to cool.
Brandy Cream Fruit Filling
- Put the cream into a large mixing bowl and beat until thick.
- Sieve the icing sugar over the cream and stir to combine.
- Add the blueberries and soaked dried fruit and stir to combine.
- Spoon the brandy cream filling into the choux pastry base.
- Replace the top half of the choux pastry over the base.
- Break the plain and milk chocolate into small pieces.
- Measure the cream into a saucepan and put it over a gentle heat.
- As soon as small bubbles appear in the cream remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the chocolate pieces and stir into a smooth topping.
- Drizzle the chocolate topping over the top of the choux pastry and leave to set.
- Sprinkle the blueberries on top and chill until ready to serve.