Choux Pastry Ring
- Measure the raisins, glace peel and brandy or rum into a bowl, cover and leave to soak overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Line a large baking tray with a baking liner or parchment paper and draw a 20cm/8” circle in the middle, as a guide.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and sprinkle the sugar on top and put it beside the cooker.
- Break the eggs into another bowl, beat them well and leave this bowl next to the cooker too.
- Put the butter and water into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- When the butter has melted and water come to the boil, remove the pan from the heat.
- Immediately add the flour from the bowl and mix into a thick paste.
- Return the pan to a gentle heat, stirring vigorously for 30 seconds, to make a soft dough.
- Remove the pan from the heat again, add a third of the egg and beat it into the dough with a spatula.
- When it is incorporated beat in another third of the egg.
- Beat in the remaining egg to make a thick, smooth paste.
- Spoon or pipe the warm paste into a circle using the guide on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and carefully start to cut the pastry in half horizontally, to allow steam to escape.
- Finish cutting the choux pastry in half and carefully lift off the top half.
- Leave to cool.
Brandy Cream Fruit Filling
- Put the cream into a large mixing bowl and beat until thick.
- Sieve the icing sugar over the cream and stir to combine.
- Add the blueberries and soaked dried fruit and stir to combine.
- Spoon the brandy cream filling into the choux pastry base.
- Replace the top half of the choux pastry over the base.
- Break the plain and milk chocolate into small pieces.
- Measure the cream into a saucepan and put it over a gentle heat.
- As soon as small bubbles appear in the cream remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the chocolate pieces and stir into a smooth topping.
- Drizzle the chocolate topping over the top of the choux pastry and leave to set.
- Sprinkle the blueberries on top and chill until ready to serve.
large baking tray, baking liner or parchment paper, saucepan and 3 x mixing bowls
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6