Pancake Blintze with Plum Sauce
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
These thin pancakes are filled with sweetened cheese and served with plum sauce. Pancake Blintze are a traditional dessert in Jewish, Russia and Eastern European cuisines.
frying pan, ovenproof dish, 2 x large bowls and saucepan
100g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
½ tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
butter, for cooking
crème fraiche, for serving
SWEET CHEESE FILLING
100g crème fraiche
50g soft brown sugar
butter, for dish
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp granulated sugar
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Put the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Break the eggs into the bowl, add 150ml of milk, beat to a smooth paste.
- Stir in the remaining 150ml of milk to make a thin batter. You can use the batter immediately or refrigerate for up to 12 hours if you wish.
- Put a little butter into a frying pan and get the pan nice and hot so the butter lightly covers the surface.
- Stir the batter then spoon or pour some into the hot pan, rolling it out to the edges.
- Cook the pancake blintze, loosening the edges, until the base is golden.
- Turn it over and cook the other side.
- Turn out the pancakes onto a plate.
- Repeat until the batter is used.
Sweet Cheese Filling
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter liberally around the inside of an ovenproof dish.
- Measure the ricotta, crème fraiche and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork, stir into a lumpy mix.
- Lay the pancakes out on a clean work surface.
- Divide the cheese mixture between the pancakes, putting it in the middle of each pancake.
- Fold the right and left side of the pancake towards the middle then make 3-4 folds away from yourself to enclose the cheese mixture in a pocket.
- Transfer the blintze to the prepared dish.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve the pancake blintzes warm with plum sauce and crème fraiche.
- Chop and destone the plums.
- Put them into a saucepan with the water and sugar.
- Cook over a medium heat until the plums start to collapse.
- Puree the plums to make a sauce.