Vegan Toffee Sauce
- Put the coconut milk and palm sugar into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- When it comes to the boil lower the heat and simmer gently while stirring for 10–20 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a warm serving jug.
Vegan Chickpea Flour Batter
- Measure the chickpea flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve them into a mixing bowl.
- Add half the water and stir to make a smooth thick paste.
- Stir in the remaining water to make a batter.
- Line a baking tray with a few pieces of kitchen paper and set aside.
- Peel the bananas, slice them lengthways then cut each length in half.
- Put some oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Dip a piece of banana in the batter, shake off any excess and slide it slowly and carefully into the hot oil.
- Cook over a medium heat until the base is golden, about 3-6 minutes.
- Turn the banana fritter over and cook until the other side is also golden.
- OR cook batter covered banana in a deep fat fryer according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove banana fritters to the prepared baking tray, cover and keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining banana.
- Serve the fritters warm with warm toffee sauce.
saucepan, large frying pan, baking tray, kitchen paper and 2 x mixing bowls