Wholemeal Apricot Frangipane Tart
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
This special occasion fruit tart is baked in a 25cm/10 dish or tin although you could make two smaller tarts with these ingredients. It is a lovely treat when apricots are in season. Serve slices of the Apricot Frangipane Tart either warm or cold, as they come. For an extra treat, a little custard, cream or mascarpone will complement the flavours of the wholemeal flour and apricots.
25cm/10” round tart dish or springform tin, parchment paper and 2 x mixing bowls
WHOLEMEAL SWEET PASTRY BASE
75g Doves Farm Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
35g caster sugar
flour, for dusting
50g ground almonds
75g caster sugar
butter, for dish
170°C, Fan 150°C, 325°F, Gas 3
Wholemeal Sweet Pastry
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 25cm/10” round tart dish or springform tin.
- Put the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender work them together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Break the egg into a small bowl and beat well.
- Add the egg to the mixing bowl and bring together a dough.
- Using your hands, gather everything together to form a ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the pastry in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll the pastry out into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and transfer it to the dish.
- OR simply press the dough into the dish using your fingers.
- Lay a large piece of parchment paper over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment paper, spreading them all over the surface.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully lift the parchment paper and contents off the pastry.
- Return the pastry to the oven and cook for a further 5-6 minutes.
Apricot Frangipane Tart
- Measure the almonds and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and beat together really well.
- Tip the mixture onto the pastry base and spread it out.
- Slice the apricots in half and remove the stones.
- Arrange the apricots over the frangipane mixture with the cut side down.
- Bake for 45 minutes.