About this recipe:
We prefer to use a solid vegan fat rather than a vegan spread when making vegan pastry. This recipe will be sufficient for the top and base of a 20cm/8” pie, to line a large baking tray or to make about 24 small tarts. Wrap and freeze any leftover pastry for use on another day.
20cm/8” round pie dish or 12-hole tart trays, pastry blender and mixing bowl
200g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
pinch of salt
100g vegan baking block
4-5 tbsp water
oil, for dish
flour, for dusting
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little oil around the inside of your dish or tin.
- Put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the vegan baking block into cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work them together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add enough water to bring together a ball of dough. If it does not do this easily, add a few more drops of water. Cover the dough and leave it to stand for 15 minutes.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll the pastry out into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish OR simply press the dough into the dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish and gather the off cuts into a ball of dough, roll out again and use for more tarts.
- Bake according to your recipe.