Emmer Pizza Dough
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large mixing bowl and blend them together.
- Stir in the tepid water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the salt.
- Add a tablespoon of oil from the artichokes and mix well.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in its bowl for 100 presses.
- Invert a large bowl over the dough bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
Emmer Wholemeal Artichoke and Gruyère Pizza Crown
- Roughly chop the artichokes, cut the cheese into cubes and reserve these for later.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a large baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Sprinkle flour on the work surface, put the dough in the middle and lightly dust it with flour.
- Shape the dough into a 50cm/20” cylinder and brush the ends with water.
- Transfer the dough onto the prepared tray pressing the ends together to form a circle.
- Flatten the dough so the circle is at least 10cm/4” wide all round.
- Spread the pesto over the dough.
- Arrange the artichokes and cheese cubes in the middle of the pesto.
- Season with salt and pepper and scatter the pine nuts over the top.
- Draw up the edges of the dough to roughly enclose the filling, pinching the dough together between the artichokes.
- Cover the dough with a large upturned bowl and leave it to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the bowl and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is oozing.
- Serve warm or cold.
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6