White Spelt Strawberry and Raspberry Profiteroles with White Chocolate Sauce
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Fresh whipped cream and summer berries are the ideal combination to fill these airy spelt choux puffs, topped off with a white chocolate sauce. Any combination of strawberries, raspberries or blackberries could be used.
saucepan, large baking tray, baking liner or parchment paper, 4 x mixing bowls, electric beater and jug
SPELT CHOUX BUNS
75g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
½ tsp caster sugar
STRAWBERRY AND RASPBERRY CREAM FILLING
25g icing sugar
125ml double cream
berries, for decoration
WHITE CHOCOLATE SAUCE
75g white chocolate
150ml single cream
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
Spelt Choux Buns
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Line a large baking tray with a baking liner or parchment paper.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, sprinkle the sugar on top and put it beside the cooker.
- Break the eggs into another bowl, beat them well and leave this bowl next to the cooker too.
- Put the butter and water into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- When the butter has melted and water come to the boil, remove the pan from the heat.
- Immediately add the flour from the bowl and mix into a thick paste.
- Return the pan to a gentle heat, stirring vigorously for 30 seconds, to make a soft dough.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add a third of the egg and beat it into the dough with a spatula.
- When it is incorporated, beat in another third of the egg.
- Beat in the remaining egg to make a thick and smooth paste.
- Take a spoon of the paste, scrape it onto a second spoon, then scrape it back onto the original spoon to encourage the formation of a ball of choux paste.
- Drop the ball of paste onto the baking tray and repeat with the remaining paste.
- OR, put the choux paste into a piping bag and pipe balls of dough onto the baking tray.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown and crisp to the touch.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- As soon as you can handle the choux balls, cut the side of each bun with a sharp knife to allow the steam to escape.
- Transfer the choux buns to a wire rack to cool.
Strawberry and Raspberry Cream Filling
- Chop the strawberries and halve the raspberries into a bowl.
- Add the icing sugar and mash roughly.
- Put the cream into a large mixing bowl and beat until thick.
- Stir in the mashed berries.
- Spoon or pipe the mixture into the middle of the cold choux buns.
- Chill until ready to serve.
White Chocolate Sauce
- Break the white chocolate into small pieces in a bowl.
- Measure the cream into a saucepan and gently heat until almost boiling. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the cream onto the chocolate and leave to stand for 2 minutes.
- Stir until the chocolate has dissolved and pour into a jug.
- Serve the sauce with the profiteroles.