About this recipe:
Easy to make from scratch or to create using leftover pastry trimmings, small and large jam tarts are one part of our culinary heritage. You can use apricot, raspberry, strawberry or blackcurrant jam to make these tarts.
2 x 12-hole tart trays, plain or scalloped round pastry cutters, pastry blender and mixing bowl
150g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
50g caster sugar
6 tbsp cold water
butter, for trays
flour, for dusting
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, work the butter cubes into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Stir in enough water to bring together a soft ball of dough.
- Cover the dough and leave it to stand for 15 minutes.
- Rub a little butter around the insides of 2 x 12-hole tart trays.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the pastry in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the dough until about 1.5mm/1/16” thick.
- Select a pastry cutter or cup a little bigger than the holes of a tart tray and press it into the dough to make circles.
- Lift the pastry circles on to the prepared tray.
- Gather up the off cuts into a ball of dough, roll it out again and cut more circles for the second tray.
- Put a scant teaspoon of jam in the centre of each tart.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes depending on size.