White Spelt Blackcurrant Tart
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
This attractive tart is an ideal dessert to make when there is an abundance of fresh blackcurrants. It is also delicious made with any mixture of black, red and white currants. Serve warm or chilled, or freeze for another day.
23cm/9” tart or flan dish, 2 x mixing bowls, saucepan, pastry blender and parchment paper
SWEET SPELT PASTRY
150g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
75g caster sugar
3 egg yolks
butter, for dish
flour, for dusting
3 tbsp tapioca flour
150g caster sugar
2 tbsp water
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
Sweet Spelt Pastry
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 23cm/9” tart or flan dish.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter cubes and flour together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks and stir well.
- Using your hands gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of the dish.
- Lay a large piece of parchment paper over the raw pastry, making sure all the edges are covered.
- Scatter ceramic baking beans (or rice or flour) over the parchment paper, spreading them all over the surface.
- Bake for 10 minutes then remove from the oven, carefully lift the parchment paper and contents off the pastry and return it to the oven and cook for a further 4-5 minutes without browning too much.
- Put the blackcurrants into a bowl add the tapioca and stir to combine.
- Put the sugar and water into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Shake the pan occasionally as the sugar starts to melt.
- As soon as a syrup forms remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the blackcurrants into the saucepan and stir until everything is combined.
- Tip the blackcurrants into the pastry case.
- Bake for 25-30