How to Make Rusk Crumb
About this recipe:
Making rusk crumb is a useful way of using up left-over bread or cereal. Store in an airtight container and use when you make Southern Style Fried Chicken and other crumbed items.
food processor, oven tray, rolling pin and mixing bowl
200g bread OR
If using bread 180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Slice off the bread crusts, save large pieces for toasting and dispose of the rest.
- Cut the bread into slices and then into chunks.
- Using your fingers break the chunks into crumbs or put the bread into a food processor and pulse until an even crumb size is reached.
- Spread the fresh breadcrumbs out thinly on an oven tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden.
- When completely cold crush the crumbs into fine pieces by rolling them with a rolling pin or pulse them in a food processor.
- Store the cold, dry rusk crumbs in a sterilized jar or airtight tin.
- Put the cornflakes into a food processor, close the lid and pulse several times to make small even crumbs.
- OR put the cornflakes into a freezer bag and beat with a rolling pin to make small even crumbs.
- Store dry rusk crumb in a sterilized jar or airtight tin.