Southern Style Fried Chicken
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
saucepan, frying pan or oven tray or deep fat fryer and mixing bowls
1 tsp lemon juice
8 chicken thighs or drumsticks
100g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
oil, for frying
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Put the milk into a saucepan and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken pieces, cover and refrigerate for 2–9 hours.
- Put the saucepan over a gentle heat and bring to a simmer.
- Poach the chicken in the milk for 7-15 minutes until cooked. Remove the chicken from the milk and dispose of the milk.
- Put the flour, cumin, paprika, allspice, turmeric, salt and pepper into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the eggs into a second bowl and beat well.
- Put the breadcrumbs into a third bowl.
- One by one, dip the chicken pieces into the flour bowl, turning them so they are covered with flour.
- Dip the floured chicken into the egg bowl covering them in egg.
- Lastly dip the chicken into the breadcrumb bowl making sure they are coated all over with the crumb.
- Lay the crumbed chicken on a plate and chill until ready to cook.
- Put some oil into a frying pan or oven tray over a medium heat OR heat some oil in a deep fat fryer according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 10-30 minutes until crisp and golden, turning at least once during cooking.