How to Make Scones With Homemade Flour
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
You can use some of the ingredients in your cupboard to make your own homemade flour*, which can be used for these emergency scones or one of our other baking hack recipes such as emergency sponge layer cake or emergency pancakes.
large baking tray, mixing bowl and pastry brush
½ tsp lemon juice
150g homemade flour *
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
pinch of salt
flour, for dusting
butter, for brushing
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Dust a baking tray with flour.
- Measure the milk into a jug, add the lemon juice and stir.
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the butter and using a fork, work it into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the prepared milk to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. Depending on the composition of your emergency flour, you may need to add a little more milk.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle with flour.
- Gently press the dough into a 3cm/1¼” thick squares and cut it into four smaller squares.
- Transfer the dough squares to the prepared oven tray and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Melt a knob of butter and as the scones come out of the oven, quickly brush a little over the top of each scone.