Broccoli in Cheddar Cheese Sauce
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
The colourful cousin of cauliflower, broccoli in a tasty cheddar cheese sauce can make a comforting midweek supper. Purple broccoli, Romanesco and tender stem broccoli are also delicious in cheese sauce.
saucepan and 1½lt/2½pt oven dish
50g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
1 head of broccoli
salt and pepper
Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- Put the flour, butter and milk into a saucepan over a medium heat, stirring all the time.
- Continue stirring as the sauce thickens.
- When the sauce comes to the boil, allow it to cook for a minute, still stirring.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Grate the cheese and stir it into the warm sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Broccoli in Cheese Sauce
- Chop the florets off the head of broccoli and cut them in half.
- Peel the thick stalk and cut it into slices.
- Put all the broccoli into a saucepan and steam or boil for 3-6 minutes until just soft.
- Drain the broccoli.
- Add the broccoli to the cheese sauce and stir gently to combine.
- Tip everything into a 1½lt/2½pt oven dish.
- Serve immediately or brown the top under a hot grill for 2–3 minutes.