White Rye and Caraway Sandwich Loaf
About this recipe:
White rye flour creates a fine, tasty, off-white coloured crumb in this classic marriage of rye and caraway seeds, making a great tasting sandwich loaf.
1kg/2lb bread tin and 2 x mixing bowls
700g Doves Farm Organic White Rye Flour
1½ tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1½ tsp sugar
1 tbsp caraway seeds
450ml tepid water
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp oil
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin.
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar and caraway seeds into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Stir in the water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the salt.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 50 presses. Avoid adding flour.
- Invert a large bowl over the dough bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which may take 2-3 hours.
- Knead the dough for 20 presses then shape it and put it into the bread tin.
- Invert a large mixing bowl over the tin and leave it to rise in a warm place for 35 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven 20 minutes before baking.
- Remove the bowl and bake for 35–40 minutes.
- Turn the bread out of the tin. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.