About this recipe:
Homemade mince pies are fun to make and add an extra touch of seasonal love to any occasion. You do need to use a tart tray and two pastry cutters, cups or glasses for cutting out the pastry circles – one the size of your tart tray holes for making pastry lids and another 2cm/¾” larger in diameter for the bases.
12-hole tart tray, round pastry cutters, pastry blender, pastry brush, scissors and mixing bowl
150g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
50g caster sugar
3-4 tbsp cold water
butter, for tart trays
flour, for dusting
water, for brushing
icing sugar, for dusting
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, work the butter cubes into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the caster sugar.
- Sprinkle enough of the water over the flour and stir to bring together a soft ball of dough. Cover the dough and leave for 10 minutes.
- Rub a little butter around the inside of a 12-hole tart tray.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle with more flour.
- Roll out the pastry until about 1.5mm/1/16” thick.
- Select a pastry cutter or cup 2cm/¾” larger than the holes of the tart tray and press it into the dough to make circles.
- Lift the pastry circles into the holes of the tart tray.
- Brush the edges of the pastry circles with water.
- Gather up the pastry off cuts, pressing them into a ball of dough.
Filling and Topping
- Put a teaspoon of mincemeat in the centre of each tart.
- Roll out the remaining pastry until about 1.5mm/1/16” thick.
- Select another pastry cutter the same size as the tart tray holes and press it into the pastry to make circles.
- Pick up the pastry circles and place them on the tarts over the mincemeat.
- Press the edges together and crimp the circumference with the flat prongs of a fork.
- Using the tip of a pair of scissors, make a snip into the top of each pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Before serving sieve icing sugar over the mince pies.