Wholemeal Spelt Pitta Flatbreads
About this recipe:
These wholemeal flatbreads can be filled to make a great alternative to sandwiches, they can provide a meal in themselves and are ideal to serve warm with soups and dips.
2 x baking trays, clean tea towel and mixing bowl
250g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Spelt Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
pinch of salt
25ml boiling water
150ml cold water
2 tbsp olive oil
flour, for dusting
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Measure the boiling water into a jug, add the cold water and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl and stir until lumpy.
- Add the oil and mix well.
- Using your hands gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl, or on a work surface, for 50 presses.
- Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and leave to rise for at least 40 minutes.
- Knead the dough for another 50 presses.
- Dust a large chopping board or tray with flour, put the dough in the middle and dust it with flour.
- Cut it into 5 equal pieces and roll each into a ball.
- Cover the dough balls and rest for 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven and put the baking trays in to heat up.
- Dust the dough balls with flour and using floured hands, flatten each piece of dough teasing it into a 10x23cm/4×9″ oval.
- Lay the ovals out on the flour dusted board or tray and dust lightly with flour.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and rest for 15 minutes.
- Working quickly and carefully, open the oven door and remove the hot trays.
- Take the pitta one at a time, turn them over and lay them on the hot baking trays.
- Immediately return the trays to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the pitta, wrap them in a clean towel and leave to cool.