Wholemeal Shortbread Heart Biscuits with Chocolate
About this recipe:
Our wholesome fine milled wholemeal flour bakes a delicious, whole grain, wholemeal shortbread biscuit. Half coat this wholemeal shortbread with good quality plain, milk or white chocolate to make an irresistible treat or delightful gift.
large baking tray, heart shaped biscuit cutter and mixing bowl
50g caster sugar
150g Doves Farm Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
flour, for dusting
butter, for baking trays
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a large baking tray or insert a baking liner.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Put the butter cubes and sugar into a bowl and beat them together until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the flour.
- Using your hands gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with more flour.
- Roll out the dough to a 3mm/⅛” thickness.
- Press the heart cutter into the dough and lift the hearts to the prepared baking tray.
- Gather together the off-cuts, press them together to make another ball of dough and roll it out for further biscuits.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Leave the biscuits on the tray to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Gently melt the chocolate.
- Dip one side or one edge of each cold biscuit into the chocolate and return it to the wire rack to dry.
- OR put a baking tray under the wire rack and pour the melted chocolate onto the cold biscuits.
- Leave until the chocolate has set.