About this recipe:
Made with fine wholemeal flour, these scones are delicious served warm with our very own rhubarb jam compote.
large baking tray (scones). saucepan, sterilized jam jar (compote), 2 x mixing bowls and round pastry cutter
200g Doves Farm Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
4 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
flour, for dusting
RHUBARB JAM COMPOTE
1 tsp orange zest
2 tbsp orange juice
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Dust a large baking tray with flour.
- Measure the flour and baking powder into a bowl, stir to combine and sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the brown sugar.
- Chop the butter into the bowl and using a fork, blend everything together until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the milk then use your hands to bring together a soft mass of dough.
- Lightly dust the work top with flour, place the dough in the middle and flatten it to 3cm/1” with your hands.
- Press a round pastry cutter or upturned coffee cup into the dough to cut out circles.
- Lift the dough circles onto the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
Rhubarb Jam Compote
- Wash, dry and slice the rhubarb into 3xm/1” lengths.
- Put the rhubarb, sugar, orange zest and juice into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Boil, stirring occasionally for 20-25 minutes until the jam compote starts to thicken.
- Pour the jam compote into a warm sterilized jar.