- Put the blueberries, sugar and water into a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook for 4-6 minutes until the berries soften then remove from the heat.
Sesame Orange Zest Topping
- Peel the zest from an orange using a zester.
- Measure 1 spoon of the sugar and the sesame seeds into a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- Shake the pan regularly until you see the sugar just starting to melt. Remove the pan from the heat,
- Add the orange zest and remaining 2 spoons of sugar and stir vigorously to make small sugary lumps.
- Tip everything onto a plate and leave to cool.
- Measure the milk into a mixing bowl, add the lemon juice, stir, cover and leave for 30 minutes.
- Put the rye flour and baking powder into another bowl and stir to combine.
- Melt the butter.
- Break the eggs into the prepared milk and beat well.
- Sieve the prepared flour into the bowl, adding any bran left in the sieve.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Rub a little butter around the inside of a frying pan and put it over a medium heat, making sure the butter doesn’t brown.
- Tip the batter into the pan to make 10cm/4” circles and cook over a medium heat.
- When air holes appear in the pancake top(s) and the base is golden, turn the pancake(s) over and cook the other side.
- Lift the pancake(s) out of the pan onto a warm plate.
- Repeat until the batter is used.
- Serve the pancakes with some berry compote, crème fraiche and sprinkled with the sesame orange topping.