Wholemeal Plum Crumble
About this recipe:
You can use whole plums for this crumble or halve the plums and de-stone them to prevent a choking hazard, before adding your crumble topping. ‘Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich-man, poor-man, beggar man, thief’ is the traditional counting rhyme used to count out the number of stones each person finds in their serving of this classic English dessert. One stone referring to the first occupation on the list, two stones to the second occupation and so on.
1½lt/3pt oven dish and mixing bowl
75g caster sugar
3 tbsp water
250g Doves Farm Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
150g demerara sugar
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Wash the plums and put them into a 1½lt/3pt oven dish.
- Or wash and slice the plums, remove the stones and put them into your dish.
- Add the caster sugar and water and stir to mix.
- Put the flour and demerara sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes, add these to the bowl and roughly mix with a fork, to create lumpy ‘breadcrumbs’.
- Tip the mixture over the fruit and level the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.