About this recipe:
This quantity of pastry is sufficient for the base and top of a 18cm/7” pie, a quiche such as our Caramelized Onion Tart, or many small tarts. Gather up any unused pastry dough and trimmings, then wrap and freeze them for use at a later date.
pie dish, baking tray or tart tray, mixing bowl and pastry blender
200g Doves Farm Organic Fine Plain Wholemeal Flour
6-8 tbsp cold water
butter, for dish
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around the inside of your dish or tin.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, mash the butter cubes into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in enough of the water to bring the pastry together into a soft dough.
- Cover the dough and leave it to stand for 15 minutes.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press the pastry into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
- Continue as per your recipe.