Walnut and Sultana Bread Loaf
About this recipe:
The simple addition of walnuts and sultanas to this bread dough transforms an otherwise everyday loaf into something rather special. Lovely to serve at breakfast or tea time.
1kg/2lb bread tin and 2 x mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Bread Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
325ml tepid water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp walnut oil
50g walnut pieces
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin.
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Stir in the water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the salt.
- Stir in the walnut oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl, or on a work surface, for 100 presses. Avoid adding flour if possible.
- Cover the dough bowl with a large upturned mixing bowl and leave it in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Knead the dough for another 75 presses.
- Add the walnuts and sultanas and knead until well combined.
- Shape the dough, pushing any exposed sultanas back into the dough and put it into the prepared tin.
- Cover the tin with a large upturned mixing bowl and leave it to rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the inverted bowl and bake for 40–45 minutes. You will know it’s done if the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.