Shitake Mushroom Filling
- Finely chop the mushrooms and dice the garlic and ginger.
- Put some oil into a frying pan over medium heat, add the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook until everything is softened but not browned.
- Spoon the shaohsing onto the mushrooms and continue cooking until it has evaporated.
- Lower the heat, add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, palm sugar, five-spice powder, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
Bao Bun Dough
- Measure the water into a jug, add the palm sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Put the plain white flour and yeast into a mixing bowl.
- Pour the liquid from the jug into the bowl and stir to make a batter.
- Cover with an upturned bowl and leave in a warm place until starting to bubble, 1 – 2 hours.
- Add the self-raising flour, salt, and oil to the bowl and stir.
- Gather everything together with your hands to form a ball of dough
- Knead the dough for 100 presses or mix in a kitchen blender for one minute.
- Cut the dough into 16 equal pieces and roll each into a ball.
- Flatten each ball of dough into a circle 5-6cm/3” in diameter.
- Return to each circle of dough and roll it into a 10-12cm /4-5” circle.
Vegan Shitake Mushroom Steamed Chinese Buns
- Brush oil around the inside of 16 paper muffin cases using a pastry brush.
- Divide the pork into piles in the middle of each dough circle.
- Pull the outside edges of the dough circles up and over the filling, pinching and twisting to seal at the top.
- Lift each bun into a prepared muffin case and transfer them to the steamer basket.
- Cover with an upturned bowl and leave in a warm place to rise for 35-40 minutes.
- Quarter fill a wok or saucepan with boiling water and put it on medium heat.
- Place the steamer on top and steam for 20 minutes. Halfway through cooking, check the water has not all evaporated.
- Serve the buns warm or cold.
- To re-heat the buns put them back into the steamer over boiling water for 10 minutes.
jug, mixing bowl, pastry brush, steamer, wok or pan with the same diameter as the steamer and saucepan