Treacle Soda Bread
About this recipe:
The treacle in this soda bread adds a pleasing back note to this tasty loaf. For best results, mix and sieve the dry ingredients well.
1kg/2lb loaf tin and mixing bowl
2 tbsp black treacle
75ml boiling water
1 tbsp white vinegar
250g Doves Farm Organic Plain White Flour
250g Doves Farm Organic Strong Wholemeal Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Bicarbonate of Soda
1 tsp salt
flour, for tray
200°C, Fan 180°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Put the treacle into a small bowl, add the boiling water, stir to dissolve and set aside.
- Measure the milk into a jug, stir in the vinegar, cover and leave for 30 minutes.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin and pre-heat the oven.
- Put the plain white and wholemeal flours, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Sieve the flour blend into a mixing bowl adding any bran left in the sieve to the bowl.
- Add the watery treacle mixture to the prepared milk, stir and pour everything into the mixing bowl. Stir to make a slightly sticky dough.
- Tip the dough into the prepared loaf tin, smooth the top and sprinkle with a little flour.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.