Wholemeal Bread in Two Hours
About this recipe:
Baking this wholemeal loaf takes about an hour less than most other methods while still producing a delicious and wholesome result. The secret of this quick wholemeal bread lies in resting the dough for just 15 minutes before putting it into the bread tin. This method also works well for White Bread in Two Hours.
1kg/2lb bread tin and mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Strong Wholemeal Bread Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp Doves Farm Vitamin C
350ml tepid water
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
oil for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin.
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar and Vitamin C and salt into a large bowl and blend them together well.
- Pour in the water and stir until everything looks craggy and lumpy.
- Stir the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a soft doughy mass.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for 50 presses, or pick it up and throw it back into the bowl 50 times. Avoid adding flour.
- Cover the bowl with an upturned bowl or large saucepan and leave for 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough in the bowl for another 50 presses, without adding flour.
- Shape the dough and put it into the prepared tin.
- Invert a large mixing bowl over the tin and leave in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes and pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the inverted bowl and bake for 45-50 minutes. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.