Wholemeal Spelt and Sunflower Seed Bread
About this recipe:
A wholegrain spelt flour loaf packed with sunflower seeds. Serve this delicious bread simply spread with butter or hummus or your favourite toppings.
1kg/2lb loaf tin and 2 x mixing bowls
500g Doves Farm Organic Wholemeal Spelt Flour
1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
1 tsp sugar
375ml tepid water
100g sunflower seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sunflower oil
oil, for tin
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7
- Put the flour, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and blend them together.
- Pour in the water, and stir until everything looks craggy and lumpy, then add the sunflower seeds and salt and stir to combine.
- Stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough for 100 presses in the bowl or on a work surface.
- Cover the dough with a large upturned bowl and leave in a warm place for the dough to double in size, which will take about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Shape the dough and put it into your prepared tin.
- Invert a large mixing bowl over the tin and leave it to rise in a warm place for 35 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Remove the inverted bowl and bake for 40-45 minutes. You will know it’s done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Transfer the loaf to a wire rack and leave to cool.