Beetroot and Almond Sugar Free Traybake
About this recipe:
A plant-based, wholemeal, traybake incorporating roast beetroot for natural sweetness. This bake is also egg free making it a great vegan alternative.
15 x 20cm/6 x 8” baking tray, kitchen foil, food processor and mixing bowl
100g coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tbsp cocoa
50ml boiling water
100g Doves Farm Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
25g ground almonds
25g flaked almonds
oil, for baking tray
220°C, Fan 200°C, 425°F, Gas 7 for 35 minutes + 180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4 for 25 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to the higher temperature.
- Rub some oil around the inside a 15x20cm/6×8” baking tray or insert a baking liner
- Cut the beetroot into 2cm/¾” cubes, put them in the dish, sprinkle with oil and shake to coat.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Turn the oven off, remove from the baking tray, cover with kitchen foil and leave to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven at the lower temperature.
- Put the beetroot into a food processor, add the coconut oil, vanilla extract and chia seeds and pulse into a puré
- Measure the cocoa and boiling water into a bowl, stir into a paste, add it to the food processor and pulse to mix.
- Now add the flour and ground almonds to the bowl and mix everything into a smooth paste.
- Tip the mix into the prepared baking tray spreading it out to the edges.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Leave the cake in the tray to cool then cut into squares or rectangles.