Wholemeal Sugar Free Banana Cake
About this recipe:
Baked without any refined crystal sugar, this bake is centred on the beguiling flavour of banana. Depending on the size of your bananas, you will need 3-5 bananas.
1kg/2lb loaf tin, food processor and 2 x mixing bowls
400g bananas, peeled
1 tbsp vanilla extract
125ml sunflower oil
175g Doves Farm Organic Self Raising Wholemeal Flour
oil, for tin
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb loaf tin or insert a baking liner.
- Take one banana and cut it into thin slices.
- Put the remaining banana into a food processor, add the vanilla extract and mash or pulse into a purée.
- Add the oil and beat well.
- Separate the eggs, adding the yolks to the food processor and putting the whites into a bowl.
- Sieve half the flour into the food processor and beat until fully combined.
- Tip the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Using a large metal spoon, add about a quarter of the stiff egg whites to the mixing bowl.
- Roughly mix together using a cutting and folding action with the spoon and without knocking the air out of the egg whites.
- Continue adding large spoonfuls of the stiff egg whites, cutting and folding it into the mixture.
- Sieve the remaining flour into the bowl and gently mix with the cutting and folding action.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Spread the prepared banana slices over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 65-70 minutes, until the sponge springs back when touched.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for an hour before transferring to a wire rack.