White Spelt Sticky Ginger Loaf Cake
About this recipe:
The large amount of sugar and spice in this sticky ginger loaf cake is typical of this recipe’s Jamaican roots. This cake keeps well with the ginger flavour increasing in intensity over time.
500g/1lb loaf tin, 2 x mixing bowls, saucepan, kitchen foil or cake tin for storage
150g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp Doves Farm Bicarbonate of Soda
75g black treacle
75g golden syrup
75g brown sugar
butter, for tin
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 500g/1lb loaf tin.
- Measure the flour, ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Sieve the flour blend into a mixing bowl.
- Put the butter, treacle, syrup, sugar into a saucepan and heat until the butter has melted.
- Remove from the heat, pour onto the prepared flour and stir to combine.
- Break the egg into the bowl, add the milk and mix to a smooth, thick paste.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before gently turning out and leaving to cool on a wire rack.
- When cold, wrap the cake in kitchen foil or put it into a cake tin for 24 hours for the flavour to develop.