All in One Sponge Layer Cake
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
This easy cake making method assembles all the ingredients into one bowl at the start of baking. Using softened butter is important in this recipe. This delicious ‘all in one’ sponge cake can be sandwiched together with a variety of fillings such as jam, marmalade, lemon curd, cream cheese or chocolate spread.
2 x round baking tins 15cm/6”, 18cm/7” or 20cm/8” diameter, electric beaters and mixing bowl or food processor
180°C, Fan 160°C, 350°F, Gas 4
|Cake Tin Diameter||2 x 15cm/6″ round tins||2 x 18cm/7″ round tins||2 x 20cm/8″ round tins|
|Cooking Time||15-20 minutes||18-25 minutes||20-25 minutes|
|Doves Farm Organic Self Raising White Flour||100g||150g||200g|
|vanilla extract (optional)||1 tsp||1½ tsp||2 tsp|
|water||1 tbsp||1½ tbsp||2 tbsp|
|butter, for tins||yes||yes||yes|
|jam, marmalade, chocolate spread, lemon curd or cream cheese||4 tbsp||5 tbsp||6 tbsp|
|icing sugar||½ tsp||1 tsp||2 tsp|
Sponge Layer Cakes
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of two round baking tins of your chosen size or insert a baking liner
- Measure the soft butter into a mixing bowl or food processor.
- Break the eggs into the bowl.
- Add the sugar, flour, vanilla extract and water.
- Beat or pulse the ingredients together to make a smooth mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake for the time shown according to the tin size. If a cocktail stick pressed into the centre of the cake comes out clean, it is cooked.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack and leave until completely cold.
Layer Cake Filling and Top
- Spread your chosen filling over one cold sponge.
- Place the remaining sponge on top.
- Sieve icing sugar over the top sponge.