- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub a little butter around the inside of 23cm/9” round baking dish or tart tin.
- Put the flour and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl.
- Chop the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, work the butter cubes into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the water.
- Using your hands, gather the mix together to form a smooth ball of pastry dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour, put the dough in the middle and sprinkle it with flour.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle 5cm/2” larger than your dish and lift it into the dish, OR simply press it into the baking dish using your fingers.
- Cut away any pastry that hangs over the edge of your dish.
Spinach and Pine Nut Filling
- Cook the spinach until it is wilted then remove from the heat.
- Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the cream and beat until combined.
- Add the spinach, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case.
- Scatter the pine nuts over the surface.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
23cm/9” round baking dish or tart tin, pastry blender and 2 x mixing bowls
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5