8-10 tbsp Doves Farm Organic Spelt Wholemeal Flour
8-10 tbsp tepid water
Starter – use this handy chart to help you keep track of your feeding times.
- On the first day, put one tablespoon of flour and one of water into a 500ml glass bowl and mix together. Cover loosely with cling film and leave in a warm place for about 12 hours.
- After the 12 hours have passed, add another tablespoon of flour and another of water, mix together, cover loosely and leave for another 12 hours.
- On day two (24 hours since beginning your starter), stir in the third tablespoon of flour and a third spoon of water, stir to mix, cover loosely and leave in a warm place for 12 hours.
- For the second feed of day two, add a tablespoon of flour and one of water, stir to mix, cover loosely and leave in a warm place for 12 hours.
- For the first feed of day three (36 hours since beginning your starter), increase the feed by adding two tablespoons of flour and two of water, stir to mix, cover loosely and leave in a warm place for 12 hours.
- On the second feed of day three, add two tablespoons of flour and another two of water, mix together, cover loosely and leave for another 12 hours.
- At this point, your starter should be bubbly and ready to create your ferment. If the starter is not showing bubbles, repeat the 12-hour flour and water feeding routine, and ensure the starter is kept constantly in a warm place.
Click this link to find a handy Sourdough Starter Chart which when printed has space for you to enter the day and time that you feed your starter with flour and water and to help monitor progress.
This Guide to Sourdough Making contains lots of hints and tips for successful sourdough bread making.
Free from Egg, Soya, Dairy, Nuts
Vegetarian, Vegan, Without crystal sugar
A sourdough starter is a paste made from wholemeal flour and water that captures and develops wild yeasts to create the basis for leavening for sourdough bread making.
For additional information with hints and tips, please see our Guide to Sourdough Making and you may also find our Sourdough Starter Table helpful.