Starter – use this handy chart to help you keep track of your feeding times.
- On the first day put on a tablespoon of flour and one of water into a bowl and mix together.
- Wet a clean tea towel, wring it out well, lay it over the bowl and leave in a living room for about 12 hours.
- Add another tablespoon of flour and another of water, mix together, cover with the damp tea towel and leave for another 12 hours.
- On day two, stir in the third tablespoon of flour and a third of water to the paste, cover again with the damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for 12 hours.
- For the second feed on day two, add a tablespoon of flour and one of water, stir to mix, cover loosely and leave in a warm place for 12 hours.
- On the third day add two tablespoons of flour and water. Re-dampen the tea towel if necessary, lay it over the bowl and leave in a warm place for 12 hours.
- Later on day three, add the two tablespoons of flour and water, stir to mix, cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for 12 hours.
- If the paste is not starting to bubble repeat the 12-hour feed and water routine and ensure the starter is kept in a warm place.
Sourdough Pancakes Batter
- Once your starter is bubbly, stir it and measure 50g into a mixing bowl.
- Add 250g white flour and 350ml vegan milk and mix everything together well.
- Cover loosely with upturned bowl and leave in a warm place for 4-12 hours until bubbles are appearing.
- Lightly oil a frying pan and put it over medium heat until nice and hot.
- Pour some batter into the pan to make a 15cm/6” circle and cook over a medium heat.
- When bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake and the base is golden, turn it over and cook the other side.
- Transfer the cooked pancake to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
Mushroom and Wilted Spinach Filling with Avocado Sauce
- For the sauce, put the avocado, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, chopped parsley, salt and pepper into a small kitchen blender and pulse into a smooth sauce.
- If adding asparagus cook it in boiling water until soft.
- Put the remaining 2 spoons of oil into a frying pan over medium heat.
- Slice or chop the mushrooms, add them to the pan and cook over medium heat until starting to collapse.
- Finely dice the garlic, add it to the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms have browned.
- Meanwhile, wash and drain the spinach, put it into a saucepan over medium heat and cook until it is wilted.
- Layout the pancakes on a clean work surface and divide the cooked mushrooms and wilted spinach between them.
- Add a large dollop of avocado sauce and fold the pancakes in half.
- Serve immediately or cover and heat in a warm oven for five minutes.
Click this link to find a handy Sourdough Starter Chart which when printed has space for you to enter the day and time that you feed your starter with flour and water and to help monitor progress.
This Guide to Sourdough Making contains lots of hints and tips for successful sourdough bread making.