Seedhouse Bread Flour Lemon Drizzle Cake
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this recipe.
About this recipe:
Seedhouse flour, packed with poppy and other seeds, compliments the citrus in this popular seeded lemon drizzle cake. The cake will keep well when stored in an airtight container.
500g/1lb loaf tin, 2 x mixing bowls and jug
SEEDHOUSE LEMON CAKE
150g Doves Farm Organic Seedhouse Bread Flour
3 tsp Doves Farm Baking Powder
125g caster sugar
1 tbsp lemon rind, grated
2 tbsp milk
butter, for tin
1 lemon, squeezed
75g caster sugar
190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5
Seedhouse Lemon Cake
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Rub some butter around the inside of a 500g/1lb loaf tin or insert a baking liner.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Start to sieve the flour into another bowl. When most of the flour has been sieved, tip the remaining flour and seeds into the bowl.
- Stir to re-combine.
- Chop the butter into small cubes.
- Put the butter cubes into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Finely grate the lemon rind, add it to the bowl and beat it in.
- Break the eggs into the mixing bowl one at a time, ensuring each is well incorporated before adding the next.
- Tip the flour into the bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked.
- Leave the cake in its tin to cool for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a jug.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Leaving the warm cake in its tin, press a BBQ stick or skewer into the cake, from the top to the bottom, at 2cm/¾” intervals.
- Pour or spoon half of the syrup slowly into the holes.
- Leave in the tin until completely cold.
- Remove the cake from the tin and pour the remaining syrup over the top and sides of the cake.